Friday, May 11, 2007

World Without Oil: Stay or Go?

The Andersons, a young married couple in their early thirties, left this past week. Piled everything into their van, turned the keys to their house over to their neighbor and drove away. I don't know where they were headed. I don’t think they’re planning on coming back. I hope they make it. This weekend we're going to dig up their backyard and plant another garden. We should be able to get some sort of a harvest out before the bank forecloses, given the pace of such things these days.

More neighborhood meetings this week. Of course, I went back; I couldn't afford not to. It was another instance of the question I've been wrestling with since the beginning.

Many tales of woe. I can’t believe how many people were living off of credit cards and the cashed-in equity of their homes. When this thing first started, this crisis, I somehow knew it wasn’t going to pass quickly. Something just told me that this was it, that the moment had arrived. Others, even some of the people within my local network, the people I like to refer to as The Usual Suspects (because I’d always see them at the same events I was attending, and I gradually got to know some of them personally) – even those folks continued to debate back and forth as to whether this was that moment, the start of the great collapse, the unwinding of our fossil fuel-driven economy.

I went through the denial and depression stages pretty fast. Within a couple of days, actually (see my first couple of posts.) And then I started to formulate my plan. I won’t go into the details, but as a starting point, it involved spending down a lot of capital I’d saved in order to purchase tools (of the non-electric sort), seeds and other supplies. I took time off from work to do it, to catch up on preparations I’d been putting off, literally, for years. The surprising thing to me was that I seemed to be alone in making these kinds of arrangements. (In Los Angeles. This guy in Australia seemed to get it.)

Then I parked my car in my garage, siphoned the remaining gas out of the tank, and haven’t driven it since. People have broken into the garage several times, only to be disappointed. I also paid off my credit cards and cancelled just about everything I’d subscribed to for years, including my internet service. This is being posted from my jobsite. And that may go soon. Cash only from here on out, until the barter economy kicks in.

Then I went around the house unplugging everything, turning off all of the “always on” appliances. My spare time went into my garden, into reading up on survival techniques and making some alternative water supply arrangements. I’d included myself in the new plan at my job that allowed my team to work from home most days; and as time went on, it became more and more dangerous to even ride my bike the couple of miles to work and back. Lately there have been a growing number of anecdotal accounts of bicycles as well as cars being hijacked.

The last thing I did was prepare my “walk out” backpack and supplies, though it should perhaps have been the first thing on my list. I put it off because I really didn’t want to deal with the question that I was still wrestling with last week: should I stay or should I go?

Should I just walk away from everything I’ve built up over the last thirty years, my home, my garden, my friends and associates, my job? Or should I stay and try to maintain as much of it as I can through this period of volatile instability? And if everything collapses around me, will I eventually regret having made the choice to remain here, trapped, isolated, thousands of miles from the other members of my immediate family?

I kept telling myself at every step of the way that I could still hop on a plane at a moment’s notice and be back with my family (and my daughter). But I would always be looking to the west with regret, curious to know what might have happened had I stayed. There was so much to lose. Time seems to have sped up, and as it did so, the options for escape narrowed. Last week, the incident with the guns brought the problem into much sharper focus, and I realized that I was as addicted as everyone else around me. I can't leave.

By the same token, I can’t go through this alone. I need to be able to trust my neighbors, but we’re not on the same page. Most of them still think this is going to pass: somebody somewhere is going to fix this situation and restore their lives to their previous condition, their former level of affluence and comfort. But the situation itself is changing us.

There is a paradigm shift taking place, but it needs to happen faster, because we’re racing against a clock. What we have, on a practical level, is a design problem; we have to quickly re-arrange the way we live, and we’ve got to start now. I’m convinced we can do it, but not if a previous mode of thinking prevents us from even recognizing the problem. And it won’t make much difference if I’m the only one doing it, because, as I said, it just won’t work without these other people.

We’re all in rehab together, forced to try to kick this habit but still desperately looking to do just one more line or take just one last sip of that drink. Many people are still trying to fill up their gas tanks and keep driving, piling on the debt in order to do it. Some of them absolutely have to. My hope is that the paroxysms, the convulsions and hallucinations, the nausea and the agony of going cold turkey off of cheap energy pass quickly so that we can all get down to the serious business of creating some new way to conduct our lives as a community.

4 comments:

Mr Louis Barrack said...



my name is Treasy My ex-boyfriend dumped me one weeks ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and don`t know what to do, so I reach to the internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help people to get their ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 48hours that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my ex came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you DR.MARKROBBIN. You are truly talented and gifted. Email:drmarkrobbinspelltemple@yahoo.com is the only answer. He can be of great help and I will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man

sonia smith said...

My name is Sonia, and i live in uk.I have been through hell and pain,looking for a good and real spell caster who can help me get my husband back.I have been scammed so many times,by some who claimed to be real spell casters.until i found the real and great spell caster PROPHETLUDASPELLTEMPLE" who helped me,and solved all my problems concerning my boyfriend who left me since eight months ago.and after that i also took my friend along,who was also having the same problem concerning her husband,who left her since five months ago,and the problem was also solved by the same PROPHETLUDASPELLTEMPLE". Can't you see! the real and great spell caster is here,all you need to do now is to contact this same address whenever you are in any problem related to spell casting.It took me a very long period of time,before i could get this real and great spell caster.So right now "prophetludaspelltemple@outlook.com" is here,and the best for you to solve your problems.......
prophetludaspelltemple@outlook.com

Susan Mark said...


After being in relationship with my husband for nine years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email is (ukospelltemple@yahoo.com } tel.+2348115200304) you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything.

Jack Morgan said...

My Names is Monique Curry ,AM from United states .i never believed in love spells or magic until i met this spell caster once when i went to Africa June 15th on a business summit i meet a man called Dr ADAGBA, is powerful he could help you cast a spells to bring back my love s gone misbehaving lover looking for some one to love you bring back lost money and magic money spell or spell for a good job i m now happy & a living testimony cos the man i had wanted to marry left me 4weeks before our wedding and my life was upside down cos our relationship has been on for 7 year i really loved him, but his mother was against me and he had no good paying job so when i met this spell caster, i told him what happened and explained the situation of things to him at first i was undecided,skeptical and doubtful, but i just gave it a try and in 6 days when i returned to taxes my boyfriend (is now my husband ) he called me by himself and came to me apologizing that everything had been settled with his mom and family and he got a new job interview so we should get married i didn’t believe it cos the spell caster only asked for my name and my boyfriends name and all i wanted him to do well we are happily married now and we are expecting our little kid and my husband also got a new job and our lives became much better in case anyone needs the spell caster for some help his email address: adagbaspiritualtemple@gmail.com OR adagbaspiritualtemple@yahoo.com you can also call or whatsapp him via +2349057354407 or website;http://adagbaspiritualtem9.wixsite.com/mysite